Warren County Department of Social Services
Notice of Vacancy
ASSISTANT SOCIAL SERVICES ATTORNEY
Department of Social Services
Full Time with Benefits
Salary $71,988 (Base as of 8/1/22)
Summary of Duties:
This is a professional position assisting the Social Services’ Attorney in providing legal representation to the
Commissioner, other officials and employees of the Warren County Department of Social Services, with a primary concentration on representation of the Department’s Child Protective, Family Preservation and Youth
Development and Foster Care units in child abuse, child neglect and foster care matters. In addition, the attorney may be assigned to represent the Department in child support proceedings, paternity proceedings, adult protective proceedings, or other legal matters which are outside the scope of services provided to the Department by the County Attorney’s office. The work is performed under the supervision of the Department’s Chief Legal
Counsel in accordance with overall policies of the Department with latitude given for the exercise of independent judgment in assigned matters. The attorney is on-call on a 24 hours basis at all times. Does related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications: At the time of appointment and throughout the term of employment, admission to the New York State Bar and current registration in good standing to practice law in New York State.
NOTE: Appointments will be made in accordance with a Civil Service Open Competitive
Examination (Training & Experience Evaluation) process, as described in the attached
announcement and at www.warrencountyny.gov/jobs . Last date to file is December 14, 2022.
Applications may be obtained from www.warrencountyny.gov/jobs
Or by clicking here.
WARREN COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE ADMINISTRATION
OPEN COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION
(Training & Experience Evaluation)
ASSISTANT SOCIAL SERVICES ATTORNEY
LAST FILING DATE: December 14, 2022 EXAM NO. 31011
NON-REFUNDABLE $7.50 APPLICATION FEE REQUIRED
(CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY – NO CASH) (Payable to Warren County Treasurer)
(Fee Waiver Available to Qualifying Applicants)
LOCATION/VACANCIES: This examination is being held to establish an eligible list to be used as vacancies may exist or occur in the Warren County Department of Social Services.
SALARY: $71,988 (Base as of 8/1/22)
RESIDENCE: There are no residency requirements for this examination.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At the time of appointment and throughout the term of employment, admission to the New York State Bar and current registration in good standing to practice law in New York State.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Must be able to satisfy the travel requirements of the position throughout employment.
DUTIES: This is a professional position assisting the Social Services’ Attorney in providing legal representation to the Commissioner, other officials and employees of the local district Department of Social Services (“Department”), with a primary concentration on representation of the Department’s Child Protective, Family Preservation and Youth Development and Foster Care units in child abuse, child neglect and foster care matters. In addition, the attorney may be assigned to represent the Department in child support proceedings, paternity proceedings, adult protective proceedings or other legal matters which are outside the scope of services provided to the Department by the County Attorney’s office. The work is performed under the supervision of the Department’s Chief Legal Counsel in accordance with overall policies of the Department with latitude given for the exercise of independent judgment in assigned matters. The attorney is on-call on a 24 hours basis at all times. Does related work as required.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION: There will be no written or oral test for this examination. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will receive an evaluation of their training and experience against the background of the duties of the position. Attach to your application a summary of your training and experience. Be as concrete and specific as possible; vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
In your summary of training, indicate all training including any formal coursework which was not a part of a degree program or which has not yet resulted in a degree. Indicate your participation in any continuing education programs including any convocations, seminars, workshops, etc., in which you have participated over the past five years. Show the approximate dates and length of such programs and the nature of your participation.
In your summary of experience, include a comprehensive description of each relevant position you have held and the duties of the position. Also where applicable, indicate the percentage of time spent in performing specific duties.
Candidate Responsibility: It is the responsibility of candidates to provide all necessary documentation and to complete all relevant parts of the application. To receive credit for experience–either qualifying or against a rating scale–they must show basic information such as employer name and address, name and title of supervisor, hours worked per week, dates of employment to include month and year started and ended, etc. A copy of a verifiable transcript for required education and a copy of the required license or professional certificate must be submitted. All information must be submitted by close of filing. Candidates who submit incomplete applications and documentation may be disqualified.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications and information may be obtained from the Warren County Department of Civil Service Administration, or from the web site: https://warrencountyny.gov/jobs. Application/exam fee must be submitted to the Warren County Civil Service Administration before the close of business at 4:30p.m. on the last filing date listed on the Examination Announcement. Applications received via U.S. Mail will be accepted only if postmarked on or before the last filing date. You are responsible for completing ALL sections of the official application. To receive credit for experience on a job, basic information such as address, name and title of supervisor, hours in the workweek, final salary, etc. must be shown. Ambiguity and vagueness WILL NOTbe resolved in your favor.
APPLICATION FEE: An application processing fee as specified on this announcement must accompany the application. CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY must be payable to WARREN COUNTY TREASURER. DO NOT SEND CASH. YOU MUST LIST THE EXAM NUMBER ON THE CHECK OR MONEY ORDER. You are responsible for comparing your qualifications with the minimum qualifications posted on this examination announcement. THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS if your application is disapproved.
Application for Fee Waiver: A waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household. In addition, a waiver of application fee will be allowed if you are determined eligible for Medicaid, or receiving Supplemental Security Income payments, or Public Assistance
(Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/Family Assistance or Safety Net Assistance) or are certified Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act eligible through a State or local social service agency. All claims for application fee waiver are subject to verification. If you can verify eligibility for application fee waiver, complete the Exam Fee Waiver and Certification section on the application.
Veteran’s Credits: Veterans or disabled veterans who may be eligible for additional credits must check the appropriate areas on the application and also submit a separate Application for Veteran’s Credits and supporting documentation. Applications and information on veteran’s credits may be obtained from the Warren County Department of Civil Service Administration at https://warrencountyny.gov/jobs.
Testing Accommodations: Applicants whose religious beliefs or military service prevent their taking examinations on the scheduled date and candidates with a disability who require reasonable accommodations to take the test must clearly indicate the need for special arrangements on their Application. Candidates who are called to military service after filing an Application should send requests for an alternate test date to our office as soon as possible before the test date. Military Service Members who apply for an examination during the filing period but are on active military duty on the date the examination is scheduled may request a military make-up examination. If you are on active duty or discharged after the filing period has begun, you may apply for the examination up to ten days before the test date. You must submit with your application the type of special arrangements or reasonable accommodations requested accompanied by all supporting documentation.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
1. Application may be made using the Warren County Application for Examination or Employment Form, available at https://warrencountyny.gov/jobsor by contacting Warren County Civil Service at 518-761-6440.
2. Applicants must submit a complete application with regard to meeting the minimum qualifications and requirements for this examination. Incomplete applications will be disapproved. There will be no refund of the application fee should your application be disapproved.
3. Falsification of any part of the “Application for Examination or Employment” may result in disqualification and possible legal action. All statements made by applicants may be subject to verification.
4. For further information on Veterans credits eligibility, go to https://warrencountyny.gov/jobsor call 518-761-6440.
5. This examination is being prepared and rated by the New York State Department of Civil Service in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations dealing with the rating of exams will apply to this examination.
6. The eligible list established as a result of this examination will remain in force for at least one (1) year and may be extended by the Personnel Officer for a maximum of four (4) years. Changing conditions may make it necessary to certify future vacancies at higher or lower salaries than those announced.
7. Unless otherwise specified, the final rank order of the eligible list established as a result of the exam will be determined on the basis of the scores received on the written test, plus veterans and seniority credits where appropriate.
8. Candidates who fail the examination, or who fail to appear for the examination as scheduled, will be eliminated from further consideration.
9. It is the responsibility of the candidate to notify the Warren County Department of Civil Service of any change in name and/or address. A Change of Address form can be found at https://warrencountyny.gov/jobs.
10. BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: Candidates may be subject to a thorough background investigation to determine suitability for appointment. Applicants may be required to authorize access to educational, employment, criminal history and/or other records check as part of such investigation. Applicants may be required to submit the necessary fees for the fingerprint processing, where required. Failure to meet the standards of investigation may result in disqualification.
11. Pursuant to Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty are entitled to receive ten additional credits on an exam which may result in an original appointment in the municipality where the deceased parent served. Candidates eligible for additional credit should indicate this on their exam application.
12. EVALUATION OF POST-SECONDARY EDUCATION: Your degree must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by a regional, national, or specialized agency recognized as an accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education/U.S. Secretary of Education. If your degree was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. A list of acceptable companies who provide this service can be found on the Internet at http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/degrees.cfm. You must pay the required evaluation fee. Where a degree is required for minimum qualification, do not send transcript unless required on this announcement.
13. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR APPOINTMENT IN SCHOOL DISTRICTS AND BOCES: Per Chapter 180 of the Laws of 2000, and by Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, to be employed in a position designated by a school district or BOCES as involving direct contact with students, a clearance for employment from the State Education Department is required.
14. PUBLIC SERVICE LOAN FORGIVENESS: College graduates with student loans may be eligible to have part of their loan paid for after being employed in a full-time position at Warren County. Additional information is available at https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
ISSUED: 11/16/2022 Patricia C. Nenninger
WC MUNICIPAL CENTER
1340 STATE ROUTE 9
LAKE GEORGE, NY 12845-9803
WARREN COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
View all examination announcements on line at: www.warrencountyny.gov/civilservice
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $71,988.00 per year
Employee assistance program
Paid time off
8 hour shift
Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
Lake George, NY 12845: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location
To apply for this job please visit m5.apply.indeed.com.