US Department of Veterans Affairs
* This position functions as the Supervisor of the Utility Systems Operator shop within the Maintenance and Operations (M&O) Section of the Engineering Service at the James J. Peters VA Medical Center and is responsible for decision making on technical and non-technical matters in reference to daily operation of the boiler plant and chilled water plant.
– Prioritizes work sequences and plans work assignments based on general work schedules.
– Ensure compliance with methods and policies set by higher level supervisors.
– Coordinates work with supporting functions controlled by other supervisors.
– Participates with his/her supervisors in the initial planning of current and future work schedules, budget requests, staffing needs, estimates and gives recommendations as to scheduling projected work.
– Investigates work related problems such as excessive costs or low productivity and determines causes.
– Plans and establishes overall leave schedules.
– Determines training needs to subordinates and arranges for its accomplishment.
– Sets performance standards and makes formal appraisals of work performance and initiates recommendations for promotion or reassignment.
– Makes continual inspections throughout the Boiler Plant and Chiller Plant sections to ensure that all rules and safety regulations are being adhered to by the operators.
– Makes routine decisions regarding execution of policies which have been established by the next higher level.
– Reacts to variations in the workplace and maintains a balanced workload between work groups, making adjustments in the workload as necessary.
* Work Schedule: 8:00a – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday
* Position Description Title/PD#: Utility Systems Repr-Op Superv/04931O
* Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: NOT Authorized
* Travel Required
* Not required
* Supervisory status
* Promotion Potential
* Job family (Series)
* 4742 Utility Systems Repairing-Operating
* Conditions of Employment
– You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
– Subject to a background/suitability investigation
– Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
– May serve a probationary period
– Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
– A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
– Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
* To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 10/14/2020.
* EXPERIENCE: A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume. Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C.
* SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT: Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which usually appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated. The potential eligibles are then rated against the remainder of the Job Elements:
– Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair
– Interpret Instructions, Specifications (includes blueprint reading)
– Lead or Supervise
– Measuring Instruments
– Technical Practices
– Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
* Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
* Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
* Physical Requirements/Working Conditions: Duties are performed in a modern plant and facilities. There is continual noise from the machinery involved. You may be required to wear protective clothing, climb ladders and towers, lift up to 50 pounds, enter confined spaces, work outside during inclement weather.
* Additional information
* The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be well-qualified, applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors if applicable, and must be proficient in most of the requirements of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM’s Career Transition Resources website which can be found at https://www.opm.gov/.
* Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee’s credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
* This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
* If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
* How You Will Be Evaluated
* You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
* IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Applicants will be accessed in the order in which the applications were received and select any qualified applicant in that order.
* Background checks and security clearance
* Security clearance
* Drug test required
* Position sensitivity and risk
* Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
* Trust determination process
* Required Documents
* Documents Accepted:
– DD-214/ Statement of Service
– Disability Letter (VA)
* Documents Required:
* Please review the above list(s) to ensure you have included all necessary documents required for your application.Not every applicant will require the same documents, therefore it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that their application package includes all necessary documents to determine qualifications and eligibility for appointment, such as a copy of your SF-50, transcript, ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).You will not be contacted for additional information. Applicants will be deemed ineligible if supporting documentation is not submitted.
* Veterans’ Preference: Since the Direct-Hire Recruitment Authority is being used, traditional Veterans’ Preference rules do not apply. Qualified veterans will, however, be given full consideration for this position.
* Applications are accepted online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
* If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
* Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
* Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
* A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
* Review our benefits
* Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
* The public
* U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
ALL US CITIZENS DIRECT HIRE AUTHORITY: This position is being filled using Direct-Hire Authority (COVID-19 – VA 004) in-accordance with 5 U.S.C. 3304(a)(3) and 5 CFR 337.205(b)(1)-(4).