Transportation, Department of
Full Job Description
To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
If a viable eligible list does not exist, a provisional appointment may be made in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must take the next competitive examination and be reachable on the resultant eligible list to be considered for permanent appointment to the position.
The minimum requirements for taking the Open Competitive examination:
You must have:
New York State Land Surveyor’s License with current registration *
You must indicate your land surveyor’s license number and registration information on your application by listing them in the “license or certification” section of the online/paper application.
1. Appointees will be required to have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State or otherwise demonstrate your ability to meet the transportation needs of the job.
2. A promotion examination is also being held for these positions. If you are eligible for appointment from a promotion list, you may not be appointed in your own agency from the list resulting from this examination open to the public.
3. Although promotion examinations are being held, it is expected that appointments will be made as the result of these examinations open to the public.
4. Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
5. 5. New York State residence is not required.
Under the direction of a Senior Land Surveyor, the incumbent will be responsible for, but not limited to; conducting research and exercising professional judgment on complex highway or state land boundary determinations, preparing survey and right of way mapping related products using CADD and other applicable computer applications, preparing legal descriptions in reference to a deed(s), providing direct supervision and technical direction of office and/or field staff, ensuring quality control of survey and right of way mapping related products and data integrity, coordinating with the Regional Office of Right of Way, providing guidance and direction to survey consultants, and providing assistance to the Attorney General’s Office in case preparation and testifying as an expert witness.
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the Department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and a current resume no later than July 14, 2022.
PLEASE RESPOND VIA EMAIL: R2-HR-Personnel@dot.ny.gov or FAX: (315)793-2390
HR – Canvassing
NYS Department of Transportation
207 Genesee Street
Utica, NY 13501
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com