Suffolk County Department of Health Services, Bureau of Public Health Nursing
Full Job Description
Typical Work Activities:
Positions Available in Riverhead and Yaphank
Covid Vaccination preferred but not required.
An employee in this class functions as a clinical nurse practitioner in a clinical specialty recognized by the State of New York. The incumbent provides direct patient care, which includes diagnosing, treating, and prescribing for a patient’s condition that falls within his or her specialty area of practice. The incumbent takes, analyzes and interprets patient health histories; performs physical examinations; establishes diagnoses; creates individualized treatment plans; provides care for acute and chronic illnesses; provides preventive care; prescribes medications; provides patient care within the accepted standards of practice. Work requires considerable independent judgement and initiative, and reviewed by a Division Manager, Medical Director or a designee of the Department of Health Services through conferences, review of reports and observation. Does related work as required.
o Conducts physical and psychosocial assessments to determine health/illness status of individuals. From this assessment, provides education, such as healthy lifestyle teachings, counseling and guidance;
o Assesses patients, establishes diagnoses, develops treatment plans and provides direct care within accepted standards of practice;
o Interprets and facilitates the application of standards of practice to the patient care process;
o Assumes responsibility for consulting and educational services to provider team;
o Makes referrals to other health care providers and/or consults a physician as needed;
o Participates in the performance improvement program, including development of pertinent outcome criteria to measure the qualitative aspects of patient care;
o Evaluates performance of nursing staff and makes recommendations to nursing supervisor or medical administrator;
o Develops and presents pertinent educational programs;
o May write prescriptions following established protocols;
o Serves as a consultant to other programs and serves on selected committees
o Valid certification as a Nurse Practitioner (NP) issued by, and registered with, the State of New York, with a specialization in a definite area of practice recognized by the State of New York.Benefits:
· Full Medical for member and qualifying dependents through Suffolk County Employee Medical Health Plan: Employee contribution: 2.3% of base salary (or a minimum of $1,500 per year)
Tuition reimbursement available for work (approval based) related continued education.
· Flexible Spending Account (employee contribution) is available for Dependent Care $5,000 Maximum and Health Expenses $2,850 Maximum
· 13 Calendar year holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Lincoln’s Birthday, Washington’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
· -Vacation Time: During the first year, employees are entitled to 10 Vacation days, earned at the rate of 2.75 per pay period totaling 10 days annually. Employees continue to earn vacation days in accordance with the schedule, reaching a maximum of 30 days per year. Unused vacation time rolls over each year until a maximum of 420 hours is reached.
· Sick Time: Earned at the rate of 1/2 day per pay period totaling 13 days annually. Unused sick time is rolled over each year, with no maximum rollover.
· Personal Leave: An employee is granted 4 days of personnel leave each year. Employees receive 7.5 hours on their 1st day and will accrue one additional day every quarter. After employee first anniversary 28 hours of personal days will be frontloaded at the beginning of each year worked. Unused personal time is rolled over into sick each year with no maximum rollover.
· Salary: Step increase every 12 months on July 1st completed year of service in addition to contractual raises through 2024.
· Membership in the New York State Retirement Pension System 5 year vested. In order to retire with Health benefits you need to work a total of 10 continuous years with the county and be 55.
Suffolk County Municipal Employees Benefit Fund.
· Short Term and Long Term Disability
· Dental and optical coverage
· Annual Prescription, hearing aid and specialist co-pay reimbursement
· All Members receive $50,000 of guaranteed life insurance at no cost.
· Financial and Retirement planning assistance
· Tax preparation reimbursement
· Legal assistance benefits
· Bereavement and survivor death benefits
· Identity & Fraud Protection
Starting at $56,898
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $65,198.00 per year
Continuing education credits
Employee assistance program
Flexible spending account
Paid time off
10 hour shift
8 hour shift
Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
Yaphank, NY 11980: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Licensed Nurse Practitioner (Required)
Work Location: One location
To apply for this job please visit m5.apply.indeed.com.