New York City DEPARTMENT OF SANITATION
The NYC Department of Sanitation is the world’s largest sanitation department. DSNY collects more than 10,500 tons of residential and institutional garbage and 1,760 tons of the recyclables — each day. While efficiently managing solid waste and clearing litter or snow from 6,300 miles of streets, the Department is also a leader in environmentalism — committing to sending zero waste to landfills.
The primary responsibilities of the Sanitation Enforcement Agent, L1, are:
- Enforce certain laws, rules and regulations of the New York City Health and Administrative Codes, New York State
- Public Health Law (Canine Waste), New York State Vehicle and Traffic Laws, and New York City Traffic Regulations.
- Prepare and issue summonses for certain violations thereof.
- Inspect commercial and residential establishments, streets and sidewalks; perform security duty at Department of Sanitation facilities; direct and control traffic around Department of Sanitation operations.
- Operate and monitor hand-held communication devices; assist in the preparation of cases relating to summonses issued, for trial in court or before an Administrative Tribunal.
- Operate a motor vehicle; and perform related work.
Minimum Qual Requirements
- Education Requirement: By the date of appointment, you must have a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent.
Driver License Requirement: By the time you are appointed to this position, you must have a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. If you have moving violations, license suspension(s) or an accident record, you may be disqualified. This license must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
- To be assigned to Assignment Level II, in addition to meeting the above education and license requirement, at least one year of satisfactory service as a Sanitation Enforcement Agent, Assignment Level I, is required.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following:
Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Previous experience in customer service-related fields.
Medical Requirement: Medical guidelines have been established for the position of Sanitation Enforcement Agent. Candidates will be examined to determine whether essential functions can be performed.
Drug Screening Requirement: You must pass a drug screening in order to be appointed.
English Requirement: You must be able to understand and be understood in English.
Investigation: You will be investigated prior to appointment.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPOINTMENTS WILL BE MADE PROVISIONALLY. SELECTED HIRES MUST TAKE AND PASS AND BE REACHABLE ON THE SANITATION ENFORCEMENT AGENT CIVIL SERVICE EXAM NO. 0193, WITH A FILING PERIOD FROM 9/4/2019 – 9/24/2019.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME WITH COVER LETTER TO:
Must apply via www.nyc.gov/careers or city employees apply via Employee Self Services
40 hours per week / Depending upon the needs of the services, candidate may be required to work rotating tours or shifts, including nights, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays and overtime and may be assigned in any of the five boroughs based on the needs of the Department.
Various work locations throughout the five boroughs
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
To apply for this job please visit a127-jobs.nyc.gov.