New York City DEPT. OF HOMELESS SERVICES
* The Department of Homeless Services (DHS) is one of the largest organizations of its kind committed to preventing and addressing homelessness in New York City. Collaborating with other public agencies and not-for-profit partners, DHS works to prevent homelessness before it occurs, reduce street homelessness and assist New Yorkers to transition from shelter into appropriate permanent housing.
* The newly created Shelter Security Management team is tasked with the important role of establishing and maintaining security in DHS facilities. The Shelter Security Management team will expand on existing strategies to enhance security and better connect New Yorkers experiencing homelessness to services, shelter, and housing by taking a trauma-informed approach to site management and security.
* The Department of Homeless Services (DHS) is hiring (4) Administrative Director of Social Services M-III to serve as Program Administrators within the Shelter Security Division.
* The Program Administrators are on call 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week, and will:
* Be responsible for DHS security operations at directly-operated and/or provider facilities and will ensure a safe and secure environment for clients, staff and visitors.
* Provide oversight and guidance to DHS directly run and contracted provider sites with DHS Peace Officer presence on DHS enhanced client-centered, trauma-informed de-escalation and behavioral health approach to shelter security.
* Develop assessment tools for Program Analyst led site visits that monitor and evaluate DHS Peace Officers engagement with clients that promotes positive change and decreases incident rates between security and DHS clients.
* Review and conduct analyses to measure programs’ performance and placements as it relates to security related goals and targets; provides implementation timelines and outcomes.
* Develop security related metrics.
* Collaboratively work with provider shelter management staff to review and analyze security plans and promote a positive change in security-client engagement.
* Ensure the security plans align with the standards of security that will be implemented by DHS Shelter Security Management team.
* Conduct routine site visits to ensure staff are utilizing a trauma-informed approach and motivation interviewing during client engagements.
* Ensure security related complaints are addressed efficiently and effectively.
* Oversee program activities and the provision of social services to ensure optimal service delivery.
* Identify needs and make recommendations for improvement.
* Confer with staff as needed regarding programmatic and personnel issues.
* Liaise and interface with local Community Boards to promote and maintain cooperative relationships in the community around shelter security.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and four years of progressively responsible experience, including one year at the administrative or managerial level in a large governmental agency, business firm, civic or community organization operating in the area of social services; or
2. Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” above. However, all candidates must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and the one year of experience at the administrative or management level as described in “1” above.
* Evidenced ability to manage staff by setting ambitious yet achievable goals, objectives, and outcomes for team members and the team overall.
* Experience working with community stakeholders such as nonprofit partnerships.
* Commitment to using data to inform continuous improvement and decision-making.
* Knowledge of security management in a social services atmosphere.
* Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical and strategic problem-solving skills.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DSS/HRA/DHS qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the programs other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
In addition, the Human Resources Administration/Department of Social Services offers competitive salaries and the following benefits:
Generous Pension Plans (The New York Employees’ Retirement System);
401(k) and ROTH Retirement Savings Programs;
U.S. Savings Bonds Flexible Spending Program;
Health Benefits, Dental, Vision Coverage, Prescription Drug Program;
Training and Professional Development;
Opportunity for Scholarship; College Savings Program;
Paid Holidays and Generous Annual Leave
APPLICANTS MUST BE IN THE PERMANENT ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTOR OF SOCIAL SERVICES CIVIL SERVICE TITLE OR BE PERMANENT IN A COMPARABLE ADMINISTRATIVE TITLE ELIGIBLE FOR 6.1.9 COMPARABLE TITLE CHANGE.
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO QUALIFIED PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY WHO ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE 55-A PROGRAM. PLEASE INDICATE IN YOUR COVER LETTER THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE POSITION UNDER THE 55-A PROGRAM.
CLICK “APPLY NOW” Button.
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm (will be on call 24/7)
New York City Residency is not required for this position