NYC DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Under direction, with latitude for independent action and decision, performs work of a moderate difficulty and responsibility in the administration and management of the NYC Housing Authority’s public housing programs. Duties shall include, but not be limited to the following:
1. Assist the Housing Manager in the administration of a housing development or developments.
2. Supervise staff responsible for: interviewing applicants to determine eligibility for public housing, establishing housing needs, gathering/verifying income/employment data, and periodically checking tenant income/employment status to determine tenants rent and on-going eligibility.
3. Make recommendations to the Housing Manager concerning eligibility for public housing and assignment of apartments.
4. Supervise staff receiving requests for maintenance/repairs and conduct follow-up.
5. Supervise rent collection and arrears processes.
NOTE: The Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) administered a civil service exam for the Assistant Housing Manager title on 5/23/2022. Therefore, applicants (candidates) that did not take and pass the exam will potentially not be considered, likewise applicants not reachable on the established civil service list will potentially be in jeopardy of being replaced with an eligible civil service candidate.
NOTE: IF THIS APPOINTMENT IS MADE ON A PROVISIONAL BASIS PURSUANT TO §65 OF THE NYS CIVIL SERVICE LAW, NO TENURE OR PERMANENCE ACCRUES TO AN INCUMBENT IN THIS POSITION BY VIRTUE OF SUCH APPOINTMENT.
NOTE: This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program. For detailed information regarding the 55-a Program, click on the link below:
Please read this posting carefully to make certain you meet the minimum qualification requirements before applying to this position.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, and one year of full-time satisfactory supervisory and/or administrative experience in housing management at a development or developments containing at least 150 apartments, including overseeing the performance of duties such as: interviewing applicants; determining eligibility; gathering and evaluating information to resolve complaints; collecting rents; and/or resolving tenant related problems; or
2. A four -year high school diploma or its educational equivalent, and five years of the full-time satisfactory experience as described in “1” above; or
3. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience as described in “1” or “2” above. Undergraduate college credits may be substituted for experience on the basis of 30 semester credits from an accredited college for one year of full time satisfactory experience. However, all candidates must have a four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent.
1. For NYCHA employees, this position is open as a promotional opportunity only. It is not open on a direct transfer (lateral) basis.
2. For NYCHA employees: employees applying for promotional, title or level change opportunities must have served a period of one year at current location and in current title and level (if applicable).
3. NYCHA residents are encouraged to apply.
Click the “Apply Now” button.
This position is also open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate at the top of your resume and cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position through the 55-a Program.
Public Svc Loan Forgiveness
As a prospective employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs and state repayment assistance programs. For more information, please visit the U.S. Department of Education’s website at StudentAid.gov/PSLF.
NYCHA has no residency requirements.
To apply for this job please visit a127-jobs.nyc.gov.