Environmental Conservation, Department of
Full job description
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and four years of relevant experience in a communications, public relations, or a marketing role. Ability to work well in a team environment and manage multiple projects; excellent written and verbal communication skills; familiarity with New York State and the agency’s portfolio; strong analytical skills and creative thinking; strong skills in multimedia including video, photo and social media; and knowledge and experience working in the press, government, or public relations fields with prior experience developing and implementing strategic communication campaigns for an entity or organization encouraged. Individual chosen for the position will be expected to work in person in the NYSDEC Region 3 Headquarters in New Paltz, NY.
Reporting to the Region 3 Regional Director, the Assistant Public Information Officer will be responsible for supporting the management of Region 3’s public-facing image with timely and accurate responses to media inquiries, developing and maintaining relationships with members of the media, and assisting with a variety of outreach opportunities including events, announcements, and social media.
Duties include but are not limited to:
1. Help plan, oversee, and implement proactive media outreach, including press releases and events, and facilitate media inquiries with subject matter experts;
2. Proactively identify opportunities to reach out to the public via traditional and social media to promote the agency;
3. Develop and disseminate content, including press releases and media advisories, statements, talking points, Op-eds, and letters to the editor, as well as social media posts, and multimedia;
4. Coordinate with other regional press offices representing forest preserve counties, as appropriate.
5. Serve ‘on call’ with other Media Relations staff on designated weekends and evenings as necessary;
6. Proofread and edit to ensure consistency and adherence to Associated Press style and the agency’s style guide; and
7. Additional duties as assigned by the Region 3 Regional Director, Director of Media Relations, or the Deputy Commissioner of Public Affairs.
Must have a valid driver’s license or demonstrate the ability to meet the transportation needs of the position. Travel may be required. Overtime may be required. Overnight travel may be required. Weekends and holidays may be required. Telecommuting may be allowed, will be discussed at interview